Marni Fylling has a B.S. in Zoology from the University of California at Davis and a graduate certificate in Natural Science Illustration from the University of California at Santa Cruz. Marni developed a lab curriculum for introductory biology and authored and illustrated the accompanying lab manual for UC Davis. She also developed, authored, and illustrated a college biology lab manual for Cengage Learning. Marni has worked at Cabrillo College as a Laboratory Instructional Assistant, setting up and helping teach labs for botany, marine biology, and general biology courses. A freelance science illustrator since 1991, Marni’s black and white and color work appear in a variety of publications, books, and museums.
Her latest (2015) book is Fylling’s Illustrated Guide to Pacific Coast Tide Pools, Heyday Press, Berkeley, CA. 76 pages.
Other Science Books Illustrated by Marni Fylling:
- Zooplankton of the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts: A Guide to their Identification and Ecology Johns Hopkins University Press, 2005
- A Laboratory Guide to Accompany Asking About Life, Cengage Learning, 2nd addition, 2004
- An Illustrated Key to the Flora of Monterey County, California Native Plant Society, 1998 How Life Begins, Times Books, 1996
- Atlas of the Breeding Birds of Monterey County, Monterey Peninsula Audubon
- Curious Kids Nature Guide. Explore the Amazing Outdoors of the Pacific Northwest. Fiona Cohen. Sasquatch Books. 96 pages.Filled with fun facts and 100 full-color, beautiful, and scientifically accurate illustrations, this nature guide will inspire kids to go outdoors and discover the natural wonders of the Pacific Northwest. Release date: May 2, 2017
In addition to line drawings of zooplankton, Marni has also produced a number of color illustrations for other publications including
Here are some samples: